Can you believe it?? The new school year begins in just over two weeks and Lutheran North is gearing up in a variety of ways!
New LED lighting and a resealed floor have made a marked improvement in the gym and is sure to save money on energy. Carpets have been cleaned. Certain rooms received a fresh coat of paint and new window coverings. Look for a makeover of the computer lab, rooms 214 and 216!
Also, the parking lot will be repaired, sealed, and striped. Therefore, traffic flow on the property may be changed during the week of July 24, but rest assured, the building will remain accessible.
Administrators have spent many hours discussing the most effective ways to educate your children and will institute a new program called “Crusader Block” for all students. We’ll meet in our Crusader Blocks every Wednesday to focus on important soft, interpersonal, and life skills. There will no longer be “late start Wednesdays.” Each school day will begin at 8:00.
To help every Crusader family be prepared for the new school year, a mailing was sent out this past week which included a lot of pertinent information, as well as student schedules. Hopefully, everyone received and read it. If you did not get one, please notify the office, 314-389-3100.
I’m very much looking forward to welcoming all students on Wednesday, August 9, and all parents on Sunday, August 13. Together, by God’s grace, we will have a great year!
• Students should be completing their summer reading!
• New students must have a physical dated after Feb. 1 and submit form to the school nurse, along with a shot record, before they can attend school.
• Athletes for fall sports must submit a current physical (dated after Feb. 1, 2017) before they can try out, practice, or play.
• Orientation Day for all new students is Monday, Aug. 7, 8:00-2:00.
• First day of school for all students is Wednesday, Aug. 9, 8:00-3:00.
• Parents’ “Back-to-School” session is Sunday, Aug. 13, 2:00.
• NO late start Wednesdays this year! Every school day begins at 8:00.
• Look for another Cross Copy Weekly on Aug. 4 and every Friday thereafter. It’s your way to stay informed!
New Detention Policy for 2017-18
Student cooperation with the expectations, rules, and policies stated in the Lutheran North Handbook is expected of every student. The biblical model of repentance, forgiveness, and renewal allows for a student to confess his/her mistake, be forgiven, renew relationships, and move on.
The purpose of the new detention policy is to allow for a quick, relevant and logical consequence in order to curb further poor behavior, while allowing for continued growth and learning by the student more effectively and efficiently. In previous years, detention dates were designated about twice a month on Saturdays. Unfortunately, this policy prolonged the timeframe in which the student could serve their detention, as well as created many missed or rescheduled detentions for various reasons beyond the student’s or school’s control. The new detention policy will allow students to serve their detention after school – quickly and efficiently, as well as help prevent students from having to pay detention fines, which were always included in the previous detention policy.
A full description of the new detention policy will be available in the Student Handbook and presented to the students on the first day of school. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Daniel Wenger, Assistant Principal/Dean of Students, 314-833-2935.
Crusader Moms, Canvas, & Cocktails
The Lutheran North Mothers’ Club is kicking off the new school year with an evening of painting, fellowship, and fun on Friday, August 4 at 7 pm at Lutheran North. Mr. Mike Lorenz will lead us in creating our masterpiece! Cost will be $40 per person and space is limited to 25 participants. Each person should bring an appetizer to share and her own beverages. Mothers’ Club will provide wine and lemonade.
This is a popular event and seats are limited. For more information, or to register, email Denise DiMercurio at email@example.com with your name and phone number. All registrations must be paid for in advance. Checks payable to “LN Mothers’ Club” should be sent to the school office.
Family Bowling Night
for 2017 Incoming & Outgoing LN Seniors
Please join us for a night of bowling and fun on Friday, July 28, from 7-10 p.m., at Crest Bowl in Florissant, MO. Tickets are available at the door for $10 per person. Please call Lisa at 314-409-8768 or Valerie 314-304-6614 for questions. The night is designed for families of 2017 graduates and 2017 incoming seniors. Spread the word! We hope to see you there for one final evening together!
Upcoming Events & Reminders
- July 24-28 – Smart Start, 8 am-3 pm (by invitation only)
- July 28 – Family Bowling Night (see above)
- July 31 – Fall Sports Practice/Tryouts Begin
- Aug. 3 – Senior BBQ/Jump Start College Night, 5 pm
- Aug. 4 – Crusader Moms, Canvas, & Cocktails (see above)
- Aug. 7 – New Student Orientation, 8 am-2:00 pm
- Aug. 9 – First Day of 2017-2018 School Year
- Aug. 13 – “Back-to-School” for Parents, 2:00 pm
- Aug. 16 – Sports Meeting for Parents & Athletes, 6 pm
- Aug. 19 – Crusader Mothers’ Club Meeting, 9 am
For the most updated calendar of events and activities at Lutheran North, see our website calendar.