Can you believe it? The new school year begins in less than three weeks and Lutheran North is gearing up to provide an outstanding educational experience! We’re shining up the campus and making improvements, inside and out. The faculty is busy preparing as well. Our theme for the new year is BOLD in Christ — which we will try to be each day. Enjoy the remaining days of summer vacation – we look forward to seeing everyone back in just a little while!
• Students should be completing their summer reading!
• NEW students must have a physical dated after Feb. 1 and submit form to the school nurse, along with a shot record, before they can attend school.
• ATHLETES must submit a current physical (dated after Feb. 1, 2018) before they can try out, practice, or play.
• ALL students must turn in the “Health Information Form” on or before the first day of school.
• Students MUST wear uniforms from Fischer’s School Uniform Store, 69 Florissant Oaks Shopping Center (63031), 314-921-9972. Some used uniforms are available at the Lutheran Resale Shop, open 10 am-3 pm Monday through Saturday at 6701 West Florissant, 314-389-9970.
• Orientation Day for all NEW students is Tuesday, Aug. 14, 7:45-2:00.
• First day of school for ALL students is Wednesday, Aug. 15, 7:55-3:00.
• PARENTS’ Back-to-School session is Sunday, Aug. 19, 2:00-5:00.
• REQUIRED meeting for parents of ALL LHSN athletes on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 6:00 pm.
• Look for another Cross Copy Weekly on Aug. 10 and every Friday thereafter. It’s your way to stay INFORMED!
YWCA Future Leader
Raevyn Ferguson was recently named the high school senior YWCA Future Leader and will be honored at the annual YWCA Leader Lunch in December. YWCA Metro St. Louis is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering women and eliminating racism.
Besides her many leadership roles and activities at Lutheran North, Raevyn finds time to volunteer with the St. Louis Crisis Nursery, the St. Louis Surge Women’s Basketball Team, the Annie Malone Children’s Home, and the St. Louis Food Bank. She is also involved in Delta GEMS, National Society of Black Engineers Pre-College Initiative and 1 st Congressional District Congressional Youth Council. She is an active member of the Olivet Missionary Baptist Church in Florissant. Raevyn plans to study Engineering and is considering a career in law. We congratulate Raevyn on receiving this prestigious award!
LHSN – Distribution Site for Operation Food Search
Operation Food Search is a St. Louis-based non-profit organization dedicated to ending hunger in the greater St. Louis metropolitan area. Established in 1981, they are the largest distributor of free food in the bi-state region.
Operation Food Search relies on volunteers to help with distribution of food and supplies and the Crusader Football Team stepped forward. On Tuesday, July 17, Coach Reed and 42 players helped load 25 pounds of food, 25 pounds of hygiene products, and 25 pounds of household essentials into 360 cars as they drove through the LHSN campus. Drivers displayed the vouchers they had previously received that entitled them to the free donations.
Coach Reed said the football players were happy to help in this charitable cause and look forward to volunteering their services again in the future. Click here for more information on Operation Food Search.
Four Crusader yearbook staff members attended the Herff Jones summer yearbook camp at DeSmet High School. They attended sessions on various aspects of yearbook production led by award winning advisors and worked to develop the theme for this year’s volume. Students pictured left to right are seniors Joey Jolly, Ainsley Geiger, Brandon Campbell, and Becca Roth.
LHSN Hosts 300+
Last week, Lutheran North had a unique opportunity to host some special guests. Alive in You! Catholic youth camp conducts camps in various cities and St. Louis was their week six destination. Other 2018 cities included Tampa FL, Columbia SC, Knoxville TN, Mobile AL, and Milwaukee WI. This is an experienced group who brought over 300 people to LHSN. They were mainly on campus in the evenings as they ate, worshipped, relaxed and slept in nearly every room in the building! They spent their days volunteering at various places in the community. The gym was even set up semi-permanently for the week with A/V and multimedia presentation components used for worship and conference-style events.
This was the second group we hosted this summer. The other was a Lutheran youth group from McHenry, Illinois. Hosting these groups provided LHSN an awesome opportunity to be a light to the community and, in this specific case, we were also the Lutheran school who chose to host the Catholic youth — imagine that with all the Catholic churches and schools in St. Louis! 🙂
Upcoming Events & Reminders
- July 31 – Freshman Retreat @ Camp Trinity, 8 am-5 pm
- Aug. 4 – Band Camp, all day
- Aug. 6 – Fall Sports Practice/Tryouts Begin
- Aug. 8 – Senior BBQ/Jump Start College Night, 5:30 pm
- Aug. 13 – College Application Work Day, 9:00-3:30
- Aug. 14 – New Student Orientation, 8 am-2:00 pm
- Aug. 15 – First Day of 2018-2019 School Year
- Aug. 19 – “Back-to-School” for Parents, 2-5 pm
- Aug. 22 – Sports Meeting for Parents, 6 pm
- For the most updated calendar of events and activities at Lutheran North, see our website calendar.